Skip to main content

New & Old Traditions

Here is our new tradition.
Sunday night is watch a movie from our childhood night.
You remember those movies that you just loved and you thought were the best movies ever? Think again.

Chris's 1st choice- Cloak & Dagger
I had never even heard of this movie (have you?), but apparently Chris loved it as a kid.
Chris's rating as a kid- 5 stars
Chris's rating now- 4 stars
I came home from a singing practice and Chris was about 1/4 way through the movie and I asked him how he was liking his movie. He said it was way intense and just as good as he remembered.
Jena's 1st choice- The Dark Crystal
Jena's rating as a kid- 4 stars
Jena's rating now- 2 stars
Chris had never seen this movie before and would be fine with never seeing it again.
I think I will have to agree.

****

On to old traditions. Christmas at the Barber house.

Every year we get together a few days before Christmas (so everyone can be there at the same time) to eat dinner, read Christmas stories, watch Christmas movies, and of course, open presents from each other.

Gavin & Tyler
I'm not quite sure what Gavin is doing here, but it makes me laugh every time I look at it.

Ethan & Gavin
I just missed Ethan giving Gavin a big kiss.
.
Ethan just loves saying cheese for the camera.

The Nativity

Kaydence as Mary
This is Mary calling for "Josep" because he wouldn't come & sit by her.

Teagan as the Angel of the Lord
She had her lines memorized (for the most part).

Ethan as "Josep"
I didn't realize Jesus had a twin.

Jeremy as the shepherd
Gavin, Tyler, and Jex as the wise men
Doesn't she make the cutest Mary you have ever seen?

After the presents were all opened, we had to play with them of course (Gavin's idea).

I got my own personal make over from Teagan & Kaydence.
The make over included putting my hair into pig tails, 4 different kinds of lip gloss, lotion, some perfume, and sparkly gel for eye shadow. They made me look beautiful.


****

Early in the week I had the opportunity to be in The Ten Virgins. It was such a great experience and all of the women in the program did a great job!

Here is the costume that I came up with.
I know I shouldn't say this, but thanks mom for not throwing anything away! I never would have gotten a decent costume if you hadn't kept this dress from the 70's.

****

I'm not sure why I always leave this information for the end of the post, but we found out we are having a girl! For anyone who wants to know (this is for you Sara), I am due June 9th and Dr. Ferguson is my OB/GYN and I will most likely be having the baby in the BC hospital (I hope you can be there Sara!).

We hope you all have a very merry Christmas!
Cheers!

Comments

Thanks for the great pictures. It was such a fun night. Love You All!!
Jamie said…
YAY!!!!A little Girl she will be so cute! I am so excited for you!!!By the way!! I happened to LOVE...Cloak & Dagger..I loved it because Henry Thomas from ET was in it....and I remembered being so scared by it...Especially when the old man takes his glove off in the car...and he has missing fingers!!!! Good ole movies from our childhood. IF you ever need to borrow some I have PLENTY:) Love ya!
Scothern's said…
A little girl yay! Dr. Ferguson?!..even better (he's the best) but on the record I can't say. Sorry for being such so nosey but when you work in labor and delivery details are essential. I will be there for sure! (even if I have to sneak into the nursery to snuggle her-if you send her):) Brigham hospital best place to deliver even though I only have once :) best care you'll ever get! What about girls just wanna have fun?(chris will love me for this one) or clue? Remember watching these all summer long while playing mall madness, arch rival (ryans game) and monolopy? I still could never beat you and you, Amanda a i's contest (you have to remember) you won every time! I was just thinking about you today while doing the dishes..its weird cause it doesn't seem like your old enough to be having a baby. But yet I can't remember dallan being older than nine. Time flies :). Hope everything is going great for you and baby! Thanks for the post I've been dying to know DETAILS!
Matt and Jenni said…
I love your childhood movie night idea! Matt has showed me a few that he loved as a kid...he still thinks they're amazing, but I think they're pretty much weird. haha!
Hooray for little girls! Can't wait to see what she looks like...she'll be such a doll, for sure!
Matt and Jenni said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Barbers said…
I love everyone of you! I will totally have to take you up on that offer Jamie- you' re the best.
Sara! I want to get together with you. It's only been years since we have done anything together- I guess that's life, but I miss you! Of course I remember all of the crazy things we did as kids. Seriously, we were crazy! I don't have as good as a memory as you though. Call me sometime please!!! I would love to get advice from you since you have soooo much experience and I have zero. 730-4252
Gallant Family said…
I love your new tradition. What a good idea. We watched Emmett Otter's Jug Band Christmas one year and Pete thought it was stupid. Meh! I'd like to see some of his favs. Can't wait to see you guys tomorrow!
Me said…
I just love you. You are the best ever and I'm so lucky to have inherited such awesome sister in laws! I'm super excited that someone finally gets to use all my girls clothes. Some of them are probably dated a bit but some of them are still cute. Of course, we will have to do some shopping too. That's the most fun about girls. Yippeeee!! I'm so excited for you guys!!!
Scothern's said…
I would love to get together too! It has been way too long. Its weird we live in the same tiny town and never run in to each other! I miss you also. Its so fun reading your blog! Makes me kind of jealous you guys have so much fun...were just boring! :) I won't be giving you any parenting tips though I am terrible at it.:)I try hard but it always seems like these sweet kids deserve better.
Ashley said…
Congrats on the pregnancy and having a girl. We are so excited for you guys!
Mitch and Holly said…
Congrats on the baby girl. I love little girls. My mom said you were great as one of the 10 Virgins. Love your blog.
Rachael Cook said…
Oh my, I am so excited for you, I saw your mom in the store the other day, and she told me the new about the baby, but didn't know the sex yet. It am seriously such a baby, as it brought tears to my eyes. I can't wait to see you as a mother. You guys are going to be amazing parents. I have to say, that i am a little jealous about the girl. lol Living with 3 boys, you start to feel outnumbered with all the cars, balls, legos and GI joes. I love being a mom to little boys they are so special. I think a little girl is so fun for us moms, as we think about our childhood with dolls, dress-up, fashion shows, playing hair and makeup.

BTW, i had the BEST experience at the Brigham city hospital. We had Michael there, and i loved it so much, the beds are wonderful and so comfortable, The food is a lot better than some other hospitals, and the nurses were amazing, You just get so much more individualized attention. We had complications with Laker so i had to have him at Ogden Regional because we knew he was going to be early, and would need a NICU.

YEA!! I am so excited for you two. I bet you are the cutest pregnant person. Good luck with everything, and Congratulations.
Let me know if you need anything

Love, Rachael
Carrie and Jeff said…
I loved the dark Crystal too...of course.

Popular posts from this blog

Playlist Fun

I thought this would be a cool idea, and a chance for me to brag about how awesome we are ;) I decided to create a playlist that only had bands on it that either Jena or I (or both) have seen in concert. So you are now listening to this playlist. Here is a little information to go along with the playlist: It only includes bands that we wanted to see, it doesn't include opening bands (unless we really liked them). You will notice that there is more than 1 song for a few of the bands. This reflects how many times we have seen them live. (Yes, I have seen Red Hot Chili Peppers 3 times, and I will see them again if I have the chance.) I refused to include songs from 2 of the concerts that Jena has been to, for personal reasons. These concerts are Garth Brooks and The Dixie Chicks. The first concert I ever went to was in 8th grade and it was Jimmy Page and Robert Plant. You know, from Led Zeppelin. I took my dad to see Deep Purple for Father's Day a few years back. Smoke on the Wate...

Look Who's Gettin' Married!

Dallin and Sam  are getting married in May! We just love Sam and are super excited to have her in our family. In other news... Jordis is 8 months old... ... and she has us laughing everyday! By the way, I will be making this here blog private .  You know the drill.  Leave your e-mail if you want an invite.

Our Everyday Life: Weeks 15-21

Where do I begin?! A lot has happened in the few short weeks that I haven't blogged. We unexpectedly moved back to Utah! Not only Utah, but our old hometown. **** Before we moved back to Utah, we visited family in Utah for Thanksgiving. Creating hand turkeys with Mema for thanksgiving. Jordis was quite positive that we couldn't see her. Barber Family Photo! I think he's pretty handsome... Boy band shot. All the grand kids.  We made candy sleds to race at GG's house with some of Jordis' cousins.  ****    We frequently head to the Harley store as a form of entertainment. Jordis could ride on this rocking  Harley all day. Notice that she HAS to wear gloves while riding. We had one last get together with some of our really good friends in Twin before we left. Visiting someones house that they decorate their entire yard and ...