A past co-worker of mine suggested that I read a book called Tiger's Curse by Colleen Houck. Knowing that we shared the same taste in books, I put it on my overflowing wish list (meaning over 200 books!) on amazon.com and didn't think much about it again. A few months ago I did think about it, it was no longer being made so I had to wait until the new publisher put the book back out onto the market.
Why did I wait so long?! It was fabulous!
I really liked this book and I'll tell you why.
The story pulled me right in. Kelsey is looking for a summer job to pass by the time until she heads of to her first year of college. She works temporarily at a circus and helps take care of a beautiful blue eyed white tiger. Strangely, she feels safe around the tiger and likes spending time with him. Well, the tiger ends up being an Indian prince who had a curse put upon him and his younger brother over 300 years ago. Kelsey ends up taking Ren (the tiger) back to India along with Mr. Kadam, a servant who has watched over Ren the entire time. It seems as though Kelsey is the only one who can help break the curse.
There were a few things that I had a problem with. I believe that this is the first book that the author has written and I can tell. The story of course was great, but the execution wasn't the best. The book didn't flow the way I would have liked.
For example, Kelsey is swimming in the water and a rock suddenly falls from a waterfall and hits Kelsey in the head. My first thought was well who pushed the rock off the waterfall? Who's the bad guy wanting to prevent them from breaking the curse, but it ends up that it just fell. No one pushed it. I even wanted someone who she thought was a good guy to actually be a bad guy, but that doesn't happen. I guess I just wanted more opposition.
Also, somethings were a bit unrealistic (okay, I know that this is a story about a man who is a tiger) like every time Kelsey trekked out into the jungle, Mr. Kadam had done everything for her. Packed her bags, supplied her with endless amounts of food, and clean cloths. I think I wanted her to struggle more and be more independent.
Even with some of the things I didn't like, I would still recommend for everyone to read this book. It is the first in the trilogy and I'm super excited for the next one to come out this June!

Comments