Skip to main content

Not just for Teens


I have a confession to make. I am a Twilighter. I know that a lot of you are as well, but I would like to tell my story and explain why I hate when the media or newspapers always talk about this book, they only mention teenage girls liking it.
I work in a doctor's office and I see a lot of books come through the door. I take the patients back so I usually ask what they are reading and if they like it. I had seen the Twilight books come through every once in a while, but the only response I would get is "It's a love story between a Vampire and a girl." I didn't really think much of it (maybe because I was still on a Harry Potter high, and nothing was going to touch my Harry). Might I mention that every single person that brought that book in was a grown woman, usually the same age as my own mother (not saying that my mom is old, but that they were not teenagers). Then one day , a few weeks after the third book came out, a patient came in and she had a daughter my age. She was reading Eclipse. I asked her if she liked it. She looked me straight in the eyes and said, "You have to read this."
We went to Park City a week or two later and I decided on the way home we would go and buy Twilight. In the check out line the lady told Chris that I was not allowed to do laundry, dishes, cook dinner and so on. We laughed, but didn't realize it was true!
About half way through the book I called my sister Carrie. I just had to tell her of this Amazing book. She had started reading the book and was in about the same place as I was! We were so excited :)
Chris decided to order the next two books for me which was really nice, but I am a fast reader and I had to wait 2 weeks to get them. Pure torture! Every time we went to Wal-mart I would go back into the book section and try to read as much as I could before Chris called me 'Obsessed' and I had to put the book back.
I got the next book and was done with it in about 24 hours. I was told I might not like the 2nd book, but when you read it that fast you don't get too depressed. I then promised Chris I would take a day or two break before starting the next one. It turned out that I didn't get to finish it until I was on a cruise to Mexico. I took the first day on the ship to finish reading. I read on the deck. I have to admit it was awesome.
I was seriously obsessed. I forced Chris to read it, and as far as I know he really liked it. He Hates Jacob, and I have to admit that I don't really like him either (Sorry Jacob fans, but we love Edward!)
I then had to tell everyone I knew about it. That included a 16 year old girl who had only heard about it but had no interest. I think from there it spread like wild fire!
The moral of the story is that I had never seen a teenage girl reading or talking about twilight until awhile after I had read it.( I am not trying to say I started anything) But It was all women with children who had read the book!
I had a friend explain to me how much she loved these books.
"It makes you want to divorce your husband and marry a fictional character!"
Wow! I seriously love this saga! I am so happy that I found My Edward long before this book ever came out! I love you Chris! Now, if only he drove an Aston Martin V12 Vanquish... wishful thinking.

Comments

Carrie and Jeff said…
I love Twilight. I can't wait for the next book and for the movie to come out. I heard that the Twilight movie is coming out like 2 weeks after Harry Potter and and the half-blood prince movie. That'll be some competition. It's a good thing we got married before we read Twilight or we'd be looking for Edward forever!
destiny said…
JENA!
I was on Dana's blog and saw the link to yours. I LOVE Twilight! I too am an Edward lover. Jacob is just too immature for me! I got Lela Twilight for Christmas and she loved it too. She's not a reader either. She's waiting to get the other ones from the library.

Tell Dana(or Dana is you see this) to get me your email address and I can send you an invite to my blog. (If you want, I'm not forcing you!)
Gallant Family said…
I totally agree...I only have heard and seen older women reading them. That was fun to hear your story. Let's spread the wild fire!
Jessica said…
Jena, your blog is great! I had heard about Twilight, but only briefly. Now you have my curiosity pricked, but how to find the time to read. . . You finally went on a cruise?!! How did you like it? I hope you had a great time!! We still want to go on one some day. Can't believe it's been almost 4 years since our first and only cruise. Miss you! Oh, and you look so pretty in your pictures! Love the picture with you and Chris in front of the pretty trees, in your profile area I think.

Popular posts from this blog

Playlist Fun

I thought this would be a cool idea, and a chance for me to brag about how awesome we are ;) I decided to create a playlist that only had bands on it that either Jena or I (or both) have seen in concert. So you are now listening to this playlist. Here is a little information to go along with the playlist: It only includes bands that we wanted to see, it doesn't include opening bands (unless we really liked them). You will notice that there is more than 1 song for a few of the bands. This reflects how many times we have seen them live. (Yes, I have seen Red Hot Chili Peppers 3 times, and I will see them again if I have the chance.) I refused to include songs from 2 of the concerts that Jena has been to, for personal reasons. These concerts are Garth Brooks and The Dixie Chicks. The first concert I ever went to was in 8th grade and it was Jimmy Page and Robert Plant. You know, from Led Zeppelin. I took my dad to see Deep Purple for Father's Day a few years back. Smoke on the Wate...

Look Who's Gettin' Married!

Dallin and Sam  are getting married in May! We just love Sam and are super excited to have her in our family. In other news... Jordis is 8 months old... ... and she has us laughing everyday! By the way, I will be making this here blog private .  You know the drill.  Leave your e-mail if you want an invite.

Our Everyday Life: Weeks 15-21

Where do I begin?! A lot has happened in the few short weeks that I haven't blogged. We unexpectedly moved back to Utah! Not only Utah, but our old hometown. **** Before we moved back to Utah, we visited family in Utah for Thanksgiving. Creating hand turkeys with Mema for thanksgiving. Jordis was quite positive that we couldn't see her. Barber Family Photo! I think he's pretty handsome... Boy band shot. All the grand kids.  We made candy sleds to race at GG's house with some of Jordis' cousins.  ****    We frequently head to the Harley store as a form of entertainment. Jordis could ride on this rocking  Harley all day. Notice that she HAS to wear gloves while riding. We had one last get together with some of our really good friends in Twin before we left. Visiting someones house that they decorate their entire yard and ...