Skip to main content

For Good

image lds.org

Of course one of the first things that popped into my head after starting our Spending Fast was all of the things that I NEEDED to buy. Well, I didn't really need them. I wanted them.
Huge difference.
It just so happened that yesterday I received a boost of reassurance and confidence while hanging out at me mums house for the 4th. I decided to look through the July issue of the Ensign. I swear this article was written just for me, but I'm positive we aren't the only ones in this boat. There was an excellent article on Getting out of Debt-for Good that said all of the right things to help me know we're doing the right thing. To be completely honest, this isn't the first time an article or talk has been given to those belonging to our religion about avoiding the bondage of debt. I guess we just figured the things that we were getting on credit were all right because they are a part of the "cultural norm" of attaching debt to almost everything we own. We're NOT okay with this! Nor should anyone else be. Oh, how I admire those who have listened to the words of our prophets past and present and disciplined yourselves and avoided the dreaded word of debt.
Thank you for being such good example to us!


So my question to you has to do with the examples they give in the article. They paid off their smallest amounts first to help with the "snowball affect", to keep the ball rolling on paying off debt. That debt had no interest accruing while they had 6 other credit card amounts that were accruing debt. 
Do YOU pay off the amount that isn't accruing interest because it's morally correct to pay back some one who lent you money out of the goodness of their heart or do you pay off the credit card debt that is carrying a 24.9% interest? 
Please, give me your two cents!

Comments

Erin said…
When we did the snowball effect we were doing Dave Ramsey's plan and we listed our smallest debt, no matter the interest rate, and paid that one off first. Mathematically it is better to pay off the higher interest rate things first but there is just something about getting momentum that works so much better. When you pay off a little $20 debt and then a $100 debt and then a $200 debt and then a $500 debt it feels so much more motivating and rewarding to see those disappear than it feels to pay off the exact same amount but pay it to the $15000 debt item that you have instead. So in my opinion I would do the smallest debt first. It just seems so much more motivating to pay the smaller ones off first. It helps you to see progress quicker.

Good luck!!
Gallant Family said…
sorry, I don't have two cents to give, but I know a lot of people who have done the Dave Ramsey plan and it has worked for them. We have somehow managed to never have credit card debt, other than our couches when we first bought our house, but that was not very much at all. Kudos to you guys for working on getting it under control!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Playlist Fun

I thought this would be a cool idea, and a chance for me to brag about how awesome we are ;) I decided to create a playlist that only had bands on it that either Jena or I (or both) have seen in concert. So you are now listening to this playlist. Here is a little information to go along with the playlist: It only includes bands that we wanted to see, it doesn't include opening bands (unless we really liked them). You will notice that there is more than 1 song for a few of the bands. This reflects how many times we have seen them live. (Yes, I have seen Red Hot Chili Peppers 3 times, and I will see them again if I have the chance.) I refused to include songs from 2 of the concerts that Jena has been to, for personal reasons. These concerts are Garth Brooks and The Dixie Chicks. The first concert I ever went to was in 8th grade and it was Jimmy Page and Robert Plant. You know, from Led Zeppelin. I took my dad to see Deep Purple for Father's Day a few years back. Smoke on the Wate...

Look Who's Gettin' Married!

Dallin and Sam  are getting married in May! We just love Sam and are super excited to have her in our family. In other news... Jordis is 8 months old... ... and she has us laughing everyday! By the way, I will be making this here blog private .  You know the drill.  Leave your e-mail if you want an invite.

Our Everyday Life: Weeks 15-21

Where do I begin?! A lot has happened in the few short weeks that I haven't blogged. We unexpectedly moved back to Utah! Not only Utah, but our old hometown. **** Before we moved back to Utah, we visited family in Utah for Thanksgiving. Creating hand turkeys with Mema for thanksgiving. Jordis was quite positive that we couldn't see her. Barber Family Photo! I think he's pretty handsome... Boy band shot. All the grand kids.  We made candy sleds to race at GG's house with some of Jordis' cousins.  ****    We frequently head to the Harley store as a form of entertainment. Jordis could ride on this rocking  Harley all day. Notice that she HAS to wear gloves while riding. We had one last get together with some of our really good friends in Twin before we left. Visiting someones house that they decorate their entire yard and ...